Welcome to Merchant City & Trongate Community Council (MCTCC) – your Community Council, at the heart of Glasgow, and a warm welcome to our website, whether this is your first visit or you’re a regular visitor. As well as the latest news affecting our community, we have links to COVID-19 resources, a local services directory and a gallery showcasing the Merchant City & Trongate areas of Glasgow.
In anticipation of the COP26 summit being held in Glasgow later in the year, we now have a dedicated COP26 news page.
- Community Council Meeting – July 2021All residents of the Merchant City and Trongate area are invited to join us for our July meeting, which will be held via Zoom AGENDA Welcome by Vice-Chair (Tam Coyle) Apologies Minutes of the last meeting, approval and action points Matters arising not on the agenda Report from the Treasurer (Gerald) Report on those issues […]
- 2021 Survey Results now publishedOur 2021 survey results have now been published, and make interesting reading for everyone who lives and works in the Merchant City and Trongate area. We thank everyone who participated and provided such good feedback. Read more
- Glasgow City Council’s Gambling Summit | 13 and 14 September 2021 | Microsoft TeamsGlasgow City Council, supported by Public Health Scotland and by the UK Gambling Commission, will hold a virtual summit to bring together people with lived experience of gambling harms with experts in practice, research and policy to share knowledge, insights and ideas on tackling gambling harms in a world adapting to the impacts of the […]
- M8 and M80 Overhead Sign Gantry Maintenance – 15th July to 8th August 2021Amey, on behalf of Transport Scotland as part of the Network Management Contract for the South-West Trunk Road Unit, are undertaking essential overhead sign gantry refurbishments on the M8 and M80 from Thursday 15th July until Sunday 8th August 2021, between the hours of 8pm and 6am. The scheme will benefit around 80,000 road users by improving safety and reducing the need for future more extensive maintenance. The work will be carried out using […]
- Glasgow City Council Bulky Waste ChargesWith effect from Monday 5th July 2021, Glasgow City Council will start charging for bulky waste uplifts: Glasgow City Council took the decision to introduce charges for removing bulky waste at a meeting of the Full Council in February 2020. This decision brings Glasgow into line with the vast majority of Scottish local authorities, where […]
- Proposed School Term Dates 2022 – 2024The current pattern of school term dates, holidays and In Service days is set until July 2022. Glasgow City Council has developed a proposed calendar for the following two years and wants to hear the views of parents, carers, pupils, staff and the wider public before the dates are finalised. The consultation will be open until 31 […]
Latest Planning News
- Planning Application 21/01589/FUL – Use of public footpath as external seating area associated with adjacent licensed premises
- Planning Application for Use of Carriageway as External Seating Area in Association With Adjacent Premises, 44 Candleriggs (21/01379/FUL)
- Planning Application – alteration to existing plan for Hotel on site bounded by Trongate/Wilson St/Hutcheson St/Brunswick St (Closed for comments)An application has been submitted to Glasgow City Council by Drum Property to alter the existing plan (approved in 2019 – application reference 19/03663/FUL) for the hotel on the Candleriggs site bounded by Trongate/Brunswick St/Wilson St/Hutcheson St. The main change is to add a rooftop terrace on level 8 on the Trongate side. Reference: 21/00997/FUL […]
Community Council News
- DRAFT MCTCC Meeting Minutes – 29 June 2021Online Conference through MS TeamsTuesday 29th May, at 7pm Attending Community Councillors:Dr Duncan MacLaren (Chair), Tam Coyle (V/C), David Cowan (Secretary), Peter Hayman, Niall McColl (Social Media Manager), Gerald Hirst (Treasurer) Eileen Mills and Daniel O’Malley.Residents: ST, EM, AP, PP and KMEx-Officio: Bernadette Fryars (Glasgow Life)Elected Representatives: Councillor Angus Millar. 1. Welcome by the Chair The Chair welcomed everyone to […]
- Approved MCTCC Meeting Minutes, 25 May 2021These minutes were approved at our meeting on 29th June.
- Approved MCTCC Meeting Minutes, 27 April 2021Approved at our meeting on 25 May 2021