From Friday 26th June, there will be changes to George Square for a minimum period of 10 weeks, as part of the Spaces for People project.
The following work will take place on Friday 26th and Monday 29th June:
- The east and west sides of George Square will close to traffic, except cycles.
- Hanover Street at George Square will all close to all traffic, except cycles.
- North Hanover Street will close to all traffic northbound (Bus Gate) and one-way southbound.
- Footway widening will take place on George Square, Hanover Street, N Hanover Street, George Street, Queen Street, St Vincent Place, Cochrane Street.
- This will mean that the existing parking bays and taxi ranks will be removed to accommodate the temporary works.
Spaces for People will provide temporary walking and cycling infrastructure across the city to protect public health during COVID-19, by enabling safe physical distancing for essential journeys and exercise, in particular where there are space constraints or user safety concerns.
Providing short-term additional public space is also key to support business operation and recovery in both the city centre and at neighbourhood hubs by enabling safer access to shops and business premises, and the provision of queuing space.
Longer term, and once restrictions begin to ease, it is anticipated that walking and cycling will continue to be considered a safe and convenient mode of transport that benefits wellbeing and air quality.